Maxi dresses are glamorous, comfortable, and versatile. When wearing a maxi dress, the most imperative rule is to complement it with a smile accompanied by confidence. Confidence and a smile make an ensemble exquisite, regardless of your body shape or body size.
You may have heard the rule short women shouldn’t wear maxi dresses. On the contrary, a short girl CAN and SHOULD wear a maxi dress and look gorgeous. Besides, who doesn’t want the comfort and chicness of a maxi dress?
While looking taller and leaner in a maxi dress, don’t forget to flaunt your curves and pose, even just in front of the mirror. Take it from me, a curvy 5.2″ woman.
What are the Best Maxi Dresses for Short, Curvy Women?
The first rule of thumb for short women is to obey the 2/3rd – 1/3rd rule. It implies that your clothing does not cause you to divide your body in half.
Alternatively, you cover two-thirds of your body with bottoms and one-third with a top. The best length for a maxi dress is one that falls to the ground.
For short and curvy women, stick to dresses made from lighter fabrics such as organza and georgette rather than stiffer cotton. Any material that moves and sways with you will enhance your curvy figure. Don’t buy a denim maxi.
Let’s explore the styling tips for short and curvy women wearing a maxi dress;
The Ideal Maxi Dresses For Short, Curvy Women
When you are short and curvy, you will generally want to create a flattering silhouette, thus appearing taller and leaner. When picking out a maxi dress, there is no one-size-fits-all solution because every woman has different preferences and needs regarding style, color, and comfort.
However, here are the ideal types of maxi dresses perfect for short and curvy women;
Monochromatic Maxi Dress
Monochromatic looks create a vertical image and instantly create the illusion of height. Dark colors are an excellent choice to create this illusion as they make the wearer look leaner, fostering the perception of height.
Besides black, you can try brown or hunter greens. However, in essence, this tip is applicable to any color.
Printed Maxi Dress – but beware of overly printed
One common pattern that flatters all women is the floral maxi dress.
Printed maxi dresses are plentiful, and it’s inevitable to land up with one. Maxi dresses with smaller prints are ideal for short, curvy women. In turn, you will appear taller. Stay away from patterns that are horizontally inclined because that will shorten you.
Empire Waist Maxi Dress
Choose a maxi dress that accentuates your waist (whether it’s the empire waist or your actual waistline). Empire-cut maxi dresses with soft flowy skirts work best in hiding tummy bulges and giving the illusion of longer legs. Avoid balloon-like dresses with extra fabric.
Floor-Length Maxi Dress
Go for floor-length maxi dresses. Floor-length maxi dresses create an illusion of height, making you look much more stylish and classy. Avoid calf-length dresses. Because once the hem of your dress touches your ankles, you will appear shorter because the hem is like a horizontal line cutting across.
One-Shoulder Maxi Dress
V-neck maxi dresses flatter busty short women. One-shoulder necklines are flattering, creating the illusion of a leaner silhouette. Generally, not all v-neck maxi dresses are made equal. Some are quite low for some occasions. Go for necklines that will draw the eyes upwards. Avoid maxi dresses with contrasting border details on the hem, as they will make you look shorter.
How Best to Accessorize your Maxi Dress
Now that we have identified the ideal maxi dress for a short woman, let’s explore how to accessorize that perfect maxi dress to look at your best:
- Choose a purse that suits your frame. Crossbody bags always look stunning with maxi dresses.
- Cocktail rings are a fun option to match with an elegant maxi dress, or you may go boho-chic with a set of rings.
- A cute hat naturally goes with maxi dresses. A flowy maxi teamed with a lovely hat is a comfortable look for the weekend.
- Bracelets are versatile and easily stacked. When wearing a solid-color maxi dress, use a bold cuff or layered bangle bracelets to add character and color to the maxi dress outfit.
- Short necklaces draw the eye close to your face. Long necklaces help continue the vertical line. They draw the eye to how long you look in your maxi dress. Wear brightly colored long earrings to frame your face when your hair is down.
- Keep your accessories minimum and wear a belt in a similar shade or color.
What Shoes to Wear With a Maxi Dress For Short and Curvy Women
Ideally, shorter women should wear heels, especially with floor-length maxi dresses, not only for the height but to ensure that the dress hangs elegantly.
When your outfit covers more than half of your body, don’t cover your feet with bulky footwear. The ideal option would be to keep the feet open and airy. The perfect companion will be a pair of high-heeled strappy sandals.
Final Tips, Dos & Don’ts
- Layering is the ideal way to spice up your look
- Do not choose a calf-length dress; keep it to the ankle or floor
- Be attentive to where the shoulders sit – they ought to be on point and not be too tight or loose
- Your sleeves should fall to the tip of your arms. They could be shorter but not longer
- Keep your monochromes close
- Avoid maxi dresses that are too boxy and square-shaped; they do not flatter your body type
- Choose vertical stripes, especially for maxi dresses
The best maxi dresses are made from lighter fabrics that perfectly suit short and curvy women. Floor-length maxi dresses will make you appear taller, leaner, and more dressy and classy.
Every woman can look cute in a maxi dress, regardless of body type. The secret is finding the right length, silhouette, and style that flatters your body and accentuates the good parts. If you are short and curvy, pick a maxi dress that elongates and slims your body.